|Born: 1957 (Dhaka)
Died: 13 March 2013 (Karachi)
Cause of death: Assassination
Organization: Orangi Pilot Project
Known for: Director of Orangi Pilot Project – Research and Training Institute
Perween Rahman was born in 1957 in Dhaka, then situated in East Pakistan. She moved to Pakistan as a teenager. She obtained a Bachelor of architecture in 1982 at the Dawood College of Engineering and Technology, and a postgraduate diploma in housing, building and urban planning in 1986 from the Institute of Housing Studies in Rotterdam. She worked at a private architecture firm before being recruited by Akhter Hameed Khan to become Joint Director of the Orangi Pilot Project in 1983, where she managed the housing and sanitation programmes. In 1988, OPP was split in four organisations, and Perween Rahman became director of OPP-RTI (Orangi Pilot Project – Research and Training Institute), managing as well programmes in education, youth training, water supply and secure housing.
In 1989, she founded the NGO Urban Resource Centre in Karachi and was also part of the board of Saiban, another NGO dedicated to low-income housing, and OPP-OCT (Orangi Charitable Trust, the microfinance branch of OPP).
She was teaching at the University of Karachi, NED University, Indus Valley School of Art and Architecture and Dawood College of Engineering and Technology.
2013 – conferred March 23rd, Sitara- e –Shuja’at, Order of Bravery
Honorary lifetime membership of the International Water Academy based in Oslo.
2001 – Rotary Club Award for vocational services.
2001 – World Habitat Awards winner (with OPP-RTI).
1997 – Faiz Foundation Award for community research
1996 – UN-Habitat Best Practice (with OPP-RTI)
1994 – National Building Research Institute award for Housing
1986 – Jaycees Award for community work
1982 – Mehdi Ali Mirza award for Academic Excellence
Perween Rahman was a member of the Board of Directors of :
5. Akhtar Hameed Khan Memorial Trust
7. Member, Syndicate of Dawood College of Engineering and Technology
– Perween Rahman, 2009, Water Supply in Karachi, OPP-RTI
– Pervaiz, Perween Rahman & Arif Hasan, 2008, Lessons from Karachi: The role of demonstration, documentation, mapping and relationship building in advocacy for improved urban sanitation and water services (Vol. 6). Earthprint
– Perween Rahman, 2004, Katchi Abadis of Karachi: A survey of 334 Katchi Abadis
– Rahman, P., & Rashid, A., 1992, Working With Community: Some Principles and Methods
Source : perweenrehman.wordpress.com